Citizen Monitoring of Fair Price Shops under Public Distribution System (PDS)
Project Partner: Public Affairs Centre (PAC), Bengaluru, ,
Project Area: Kolar and Bengaluru Urban districts
Project Period : July 2019 to February 2020
OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT
The project intends to improve the overall functioning and governance of the Public Distribution System (PDS) scheme by majorly focusing on Fair Price Shops. The final expected outcomes of the project include:
- i) Inclusive & sustained access to Fair Price Shops by individuals & families
- ii) Enhanced transparency & accountability in FPS functioning
iii) Strengthening capacity of partner organisations to facilitate & monitor citizen monitoring of FPS on a sustained basis
- iv) Understanding the functioning status of Fair Price Shops
- v) FPS and Government officials are responsive to demands of citizens
- vi) Creation of a standardised citizen monitoring process for replication across other geographies & public services
RESPONSIBILITIES OF Institute of Youth and Development
Institute of Youth and Development, entering into an agreement with Public Affairs Centre as a District Level Partner Organization (DLPO) for the “Citizen Monitoring of Fair Price Shops under Public Distribution System in Karnataka” project shall fulfil the following broad responsibilities:
- i) Institute of Youth and Development, referred to as DLPO, is responsible for successful completion of project activities in Kolar and Bengaluru Urban districts.
- Institute of Youth and Development will assign TWO dedicated staff to each district.
- Any change of the staff during the intervention should be informed to PAC.
- It shall be the sole responsibility of DLPO to ensure that the collected data provided by the monitoring team reaches PAC in a timely fashion (no later than 5 days after completion of the monitoring visit).
- DLPO shall ensure smooth progress and coordination of the project by identifying and dealing with any hindrances to the project, and communicating the same to PAC on an ongoing basis.
- DLPO shall be responsible for bringing discrepancies, malpractices, inefficiencies & leakages, etc. in the system to the attention of PAC, and the district level and taluk level officials.
- DLPO shall ensure that necessary action is taken by the Department and will report progress of the same back to PAC.
- Reports submitted by DLPO to PAC should be as per prescribed formats specified by PAC and adhering to quality standards prescribed by PAC. Reports will be reviewed by PAC before accepting it.
- DLPO will follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) provided by PAC when carrying out project activities.
- ACTIVITIES & TIMELINES
- Organising Gram Sabhas, citizen monitoring of the assigned FPSs,
- Data collection
- Organising peer-to-peer meeting(s) etc.
- Attend Training of 2 DLPO members as Trainers (of citizen monitoring teams) by PAC
- These trained DLPO staff will carry out all activities for the 6 FPSs in the district.
- The 2 trained DLPO staff shall be responsible for organising and moderating the 2 Gram Sabhas for each of the 6 selected FPSs in the district.
- The first Gram Sabha will be conducted at the beginning of the intervention, during which 4 citizens will be elected by the community to be trained as citizen monitors as per the protocol specified by PAC. The second Gram Sabha will be held at the end of the intervention.
- DLPO staff will conduct baseline awareness and endline awareness interviews with the elected citizen monitors using the questionnaires provided by PAC.
- The 4 citizens elected by the community will be trained by DLPO staff and inducted as citizen monitors. 6 FPS will be selected for each district, and each FPS will have 4 citizen monitors.
- DLPO will coordinate 3 citizen monitoring visits conducted by citizen monitors and facilitate collection of data by them. DLPO will NOT enter the data in the monitoring forms, but will only facilitate the citizen monitoring teams to do so.
- DLPO shall engage with concerned district & taluka level Government officials to facilitate the project as required.
- DLPO will facilitate interaction between citizen monitors and local government/Department authorities. This shall be fulfilled through effective engagement with the stakeholders like FPS owners, department/local authorities, etc.
- DLPO will be responsible for conducting a district level peer-to-peer meeting after the 2nd monitoring visit of the monitoring team as per the project schedule.