Project Title: Karnataka Community-Based Tank Management Project
Jala Samvardhane Yojana Sangha (JSYS), Govt. of Karnataka, Bangalore
Period: 2009 to 2013
Budget: 125.63 Lakhs
Project area Location:
The Institute for Youth and Development (IYD) is involved in implementation of project as Cluster Facilitation Team for
- a) Kumsi – Shimoga taluk, Shimoga district
Harnalli– Shimoga taluk, Shimoga district
· Capacity building
· Project management and coordination
· Strengthening Community Development
· Safeguard Action Plans
· Planning and Management Support to TMI
· Participation of women and vulnerable Section
· All inclusive, transparent, accountable system in place at Tank Management Institution
· Integrated Tank Development Plan (ITDP)
· Physical Improvements in tank, its command and catchment
· Livestock Development
· Livelihood programs – IGA
c) Srinivaspura – Srinivaspura taluk,
IYD’s Model project:
IYD’s participatory tank management model developed in M.G. Halli and Kasaraghatta villages of Nelamangala taluk have been widely acclaimed and resulted in
changein policy at Govt., level resulting in the undertaking the World Bank aided KCBTMP being implemented through JSYS. From 2002 to 2007 IYD partnered JSYS in successfully implemented the project in 40 tanks at Koratagere taluk in Tumkur district.
To improve rural livelihoods and reduce poverty by developing and strengthening community-based approaches to improving and managing selected tank systems
- Establishing an enabling environment for the sustainable, decentralized management of tank systems
community basedinstitutions to assume responsibility for tank system development and management, and
- Undertaking tank systems improvements through:
- Improving the operational performance of selected tank systems through a menu of physical interventions identified and executed by local users;
- Facilitating technical training and on-farm demonstrations in
atermanagement, agriculture and horticulture development, fisheries, forestry; and
- Fodder production to help ensure that improved water storage and efficiency is translated into increased household income.
- Facilitated 72 Nos. of Tank System rehabilitation works.
- Provided the services of experienced four Social Specialists as Cluster Facilitators
- Ensured active participation of project stakeholders, a rapid assessment of tank area to assess social, technical and economic feasibility for tank system improvement.
- Household survey conducted for all households and submitted consolidated
report.. Base linesurvey information was collected, compiled, and submitted the report. to JSYS.
- Developed a data bank for every TMI on tank system through primary and secondary sources.
- Prepared meticulous and diligent plan to ensure building the capacities of 72 TMI through 14 modules of training materials provided by JSYS.
- Provided technical, managerial and other related support, professional service and assistance to TMI to enable the TMI to appreciate and share the vision of
community basedplanning and Management Plan ..
- Enabled TMI to plan and implement Social Component of the Integrated Tank Development and Management Plans by providing technical, managerial, professional service with responsibility and accountability to the TMI and the project.
- Integrated Tank Development Plan was prepared and implemented effectively by involving all stakeholders particularly those vulnerable (including landless, women, SC/ST
- Community Mobilization activities were undertaken by IYD’s cluster facilitators through collective decision making process at tank level.
- Ensured that Cluster Facilitators appreciate the concerns of each specialization and in turn enable tank communities to understand integrated approach to tank system improvement and management.
- Build the capacity of TMI with respect to their specialization aiming at sustainable and
self relianttank management system were undertaken.
- Formed and strengthened 142 Self Help Groups and are linked to
micro creditactivities through local banks
- 106 youths have availed skill development programs and started Income Generation activities.