Water & Sanitation
Project: Conducting of Capacity Building, IEC & HRD activities under National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) Support Activities on Water & Sanitation issues in rural areas
- Quality, accessibility, adequacy, source sustainability. Hygiene at water collection-storage-handling practices etc.;
- Washing hands with soap after ablution before cooking, serving food and after disposal of child excreta.
- Institution building and increased role (strengthening & empowerment) of PRIs/VWSCs
- Safeguarding Water supply & Sanitation facilities in the village/ habitation.
- Promotion of Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) along with a holistic approach on water resource, water supply and then drinking water security.
- Management of Operation & Maintenance of water supply system/ facilities.
Funded by: Karnataka Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Department, Govt. of Karnataka
Project Area: Udupi, Kundapura and Karkala Taluks of Udupi District
Project Period: 2017 to till date
Budget: 23.54 Lakhs Per Year
National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) aims at empowered, well aware and skilled stakeholders, capable of proper planning, implementation, operation-maintenance and management of water supply and water resources at all levels. In order to enable the village community and PRIs to play their rightful role, it is important that knowledge and information gaps-both thematic and programmatic on various aspects of drinking water are bridged and an enabling environment is created. To enable the PRIs especially at the village level to plan, implement, manage, operate and maintain “safe drinking water to all throughout the year on a sustainable basis” and to ensure coverage of all rural habitations with access to safe drinking water systems and sources, and to tackle the problem of water quality in the affected habitations, it is necessary that a multi-pronged approach is adopted. In this context, a well planned human resource development (HRD) and information-education-communication (IEC) campaign plays a critical role. The “bottom-up” approach is adopted in the design of the program and thus the community involvement need to be ensured from planning to implementation and management. Thus a special emphasis is given for social mobilization through building the capacity of the participating community and developing the human resources at place to take responsibility in planning, implementation and maintaining the assets generated under the program with technical support from the department.
Keeping in view the strength of the IYD in the areas of social mobilization, community participation, training of GP members, VWSC members and (grassroots level workers) village Watermen, Anganwadi workers, selected school teachers, Village health workers, ASHA workers, local NGO staff, local Youths, Volunteers etc. IYD will also assist the department and the community in seasonal planning of water quality tests, sanitation survey, capacity building programmes, periodic water quality monitoring & surveillance, process documentation, database management, uploading the generated information on IMIS (MDWS portal), generation of reports on conducted activities and submitting to department for further needful.
- Sensitization of Panchayath Raj Institution at grass root level about their roles & responsibilities, involvement level, benefits to the community etc;
- Enhancing capacity building of gram Panchayath on operation and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities;
- Enhancing the awareness level of water users group/ community on water quality, source hygiene, environmental sanitation etc.;
- Participation of different target groups in water, hygiene & health programs;
- Change in the attitude resulting in behavior change;
- To change the psychological mindset and thinking of the rural community towards water & health by understanding cross cutting issues such as health and economic benefits.
- Development of strategy and concept for IEC & HRD activities including Wall paintings, Street Plays and Classroom trainings.
- Development of Training Module, IEC materials (Print & Electronic viz. Radio spots, TV spots), Electronic materials which includes LED Display boards as required, Hoardings & Banners, Background materials for participants (all printed materials will be of prototypes in Kannada. The mass production will be taken up by RDW&SD).
- Capacity building to Gram Panchayath members including members of Village Water & Sanitation Committee, officials of GP, PRI members and SHGs, ASHAs and Section Officers/Engineers on various aspects of water (such as Water quality, accessibility, adequacy, source sustainability.
- Hygiene at water collection-storage-usage-hand wash-hygiene practices etc. at gram Panchayath level across the state.
- 6.Awareness Activities
- Wall paintings at GP Level (only RDW&SD approved themes)
- Street Play & Folklore (Script approved by RDW&SD)
- Hoardings & Banners (Write up approved by RDW&SD)
- TV Spots/ Video film shown through communication/ Local cable network/ Regional means (Only approved themes)
- Radio Spots – Local & Regional audio means
All completed activities shall be documented & presented as follows;
- Project/ Assignment Completion Report in detail
- Individual report shall be supported by photos with place, date & time, contact details of the local officials/ officers, local leaders etc
- Reflections/ feedback of various stakeholders (activity wise)
- Performance Certificate obtained from GP for each event